- Special Savings
This rib-sticking bean chili is richly flavored with cumin, chili, paprika, oregano and an assortment of peppers. Use whatever beans you have in your pantry. Make it a meal: Bake up a batch of Salsa Cornbread while the chili simmers.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up 2 days or freeze for up to 6 weeks.
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound beef round, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), snipped into small pieces
- 2 dried ancho chilies, seeds and stems removed, snipped into thin strips (optional; see Note)
- 12 ounces dark beer, such as porter or stout
- One 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, with juices
- 1 tablespoon grated unsweetened chocolate
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- One 19-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- One 19-ounce can white beans, such as Great Northern, rinsed
- One 19-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Nonfat plain yogurt, chopped scallion greens and shredded sharp cheddar for garnish
- Note: Ancho chilise, one of the most popular dried chilies used in Mexico, are dried poblano peppers. They have a mild, sweet, spicy flavor. Ground ancho chili can be found with other spices in large supermarkets, or substitute ground chili powder with a pinch of cayenne.
Toast the cumin seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring, until aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a mortar and pestle or spice grinder; grind to a fine powder. Transfer to a small bowl; add the chili powder, paprika, oregano and cayenne. Stir to combine; set aside.
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil in a large heavy pot over high heat. Add the beef, in batches if necessary, and sauté until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add the onions and bell pepper. Cook, stirring, until the onions have softened and are golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapeños, sun-dried tomatoes, anchos chilies (if using), and the reserved spice mixture. Stir until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Add the beer, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, scraping up any brown bits clinging to the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes and their juices, chocolate, sugar, bay leaves and the browned beef. Add the water and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the beef is very tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Add the kidney beans, white beans and black beans and cook until the chili is thick, 30 to 45 minutes more. Remove the bay leaves. Stir in the cilantro, if using, and the lime juice; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with garnishes.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
358 calories; 8g total fat; 2g total saturated fat; 33mg cholesterol; 455mg sodium; 48g carbohydrates; 14g fiber; 26g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .