Using dried beans instead of canned in this flavorful chicken soup results in a thicker soup with more complex flavor.
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped, or one can (14 ounces) plum tomatoes, drained, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 6 new potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Broth (see recipe link)
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
Companion recipe: Homemade Chicken Broth
Rinse beans and pick over, cover with water and set aside to soak for 8 hours or overnight.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add leeks, carrots and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add broth, wine, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Drain the beans and add to the pot; cook until the beans are soft, about 2 hours. Remove the bay leaf and herb sprigs before serving.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
166 calories; 2g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 7mg cholesterol; 405mg sodium; 23g carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 9g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.