- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds mixed bone-in, skinless chicken parts
- 10 ounces pearl onions, peeled and halved (or use canned or jarred)
- 3 carrots, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups cooked cannelloni or Great Northern beans (or two 19-ounce cans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 tablespoons dried)
- 2 cups chicken broth (or one 14 1/2-ounce can plus 2 tablespoons water)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large nonstick soup pot over high heat, warm the olive oil. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Add pearl onions, carrots, garlic and Canadian bacon; saute until onions are lightly browned. Stir in balsamic vinegar and white wine; bring to a boil and then simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid is reduced by about one third. Stir in beans, rosemary and chicken broth. Bring back to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for 20 minutes.
Ladle into large bowls and serve with rustic bread and salad.
Recipe reprinted by permission of www.eatchicken.com. All rights reserved.