- For the Chicken:
- 8 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 plantains, ripe, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons oregano, chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- For the Pineapple Dipping Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- One 10-ounce jar of pineapple fruit spread and remaining marinade
FOR THE CHICKEN:
On eight 10-inch skewers, thread chicken, bacon, pineapple and plantains, alternating ingredients. Set skewers on a tray with sides or in a glass baking dish. In small bowl, stir together pineapple juice, lime juice, oregano and garlic cloves. Pour pineapple juice mixture over skewers, turning to coat all sides thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to 24 hours, turning skewers occasionally.
Before cooking chicken, prepare pineapple sauce.
Prepare grill. When coals are hot, lift skewers out of marinade and brush lightly with vegetable oil. Grill over medium-hot coals for about 20 minutes, turning often. Stir remaining marinade into sauce. Boil sauce over hot stove, stirring often, for 4 minutes.
Serve skewers hot, passing Pineapple Dipping Sauce separately.
FOR THE PINEAPPLE DIPPING SAUCE:
In medium bowl, stir together vegetable oil, minced onion, pineapple fruit spread and remaining marinade. Boil as instructed before serving.
Recipe reprinted by permission of www.eatchicken.com. All rights reserved.