We all want a sustainable future, but what does it look like, and how do we get there? In Ithaca, New York, a new culture is blossoming--one that values cooperation, local production, environmental stewardship, social justice, and creativity. Ithaca is showing the way to meet the challenges of the day with a wide variety of practical, real-world solutions.
Filled with inspiring examples, Choosing a Sustainable Future provides readers with a remarkable sense of possibility. Explore Ithaca's:
- Bustling, vibrant farmers' markets, overflowing with fresh, local produce
- Award-winning community credit union that triples the savings of low-income people
- Flagship college sustainability programs
- Pioneering alternative transportation programs, such as Ithaca Carshare
- Innovative efforts by coalitions of local business, university, government, and activists to create transformation in areas as diverse as green building, city planning, health and wellness, and honoring cultural diversity