Classic Pine 68x82-in. Mega Mat Picnic Blanket by Picnic Plus
The Mega Mat ® by Picnic Plus is the ultimate take-along companion for any outdoor activity. With a 100% fully waterproof backing, and foam padded lining, you and your bottom will be comfortable and w...; See complete description »
In Stock - Item #572756
Ships from Supplier in 3-5 business days. Sorry, gift wrap is not available for this item.
Very big and colorful and almost perfect!
I researched my brains out trying to find a waterproof or water-resistant blanket (or the bottom would need to be anyway) that is large enough for my family of 5 (3 small boys). I wanted it to put out in the front yard (we have a very social block and get neighborly visits often throughout the summer), and I also wanted it to take to the park and local wading pools/fountains, as well as outdoor concerts and possibly the beach at some point. I tried out two other brands of outdoor blankets myself (borrowed from friends) but they weren't big enough...I searched and searched and found some very hip looking outdoor blankets but again...they weren't quite big enough (darn it!). This is THE largest one you can get. There is another larger one but it's something like $300.00 (?) and simply not an option because of the price - and appears to be pretty bulky. If you need one big enough for two adults and one child, there are other, nicer blankets out there. But this size is great for friends to picnic with as well - and this particular color/pattern is pretty cool.
First experience with it:
The first time I took it out, I felt it was pretty darn huge and it seemed pretty bulky and stiff compared to my old outdoor blanket which is practically as thin as a sheet. When I lay down on it shortly after opening it, it was a hot sunny day and it seemed the material wasn't breathable at all...my legs got kinda sweaty after a while. The next couple of times I took it out and lay on it that didn't happen so it might have been just from being packaged up or maybe just a combo of weird circumstances that day. It's pretty comfy.
- Biggest size out there - perfect for at least 1 adult and 3 growing kids! Other, smaller-sized blankets would be big enough for so many people if the blanket were turned horizontally, but they wouldn't get to lie fully on the blanket (e.g. if the bottom halves of their legs went off the blanket).
- Several other brand names with similar blankets offer a carrying pouch or bag that it folds into, and this one has that too, however this one is part of the blanket so you won't lose any parts, which is great
- It has some thin foam padding in there it seems (very little, but more padding than many outdoor blankets)
- It has a hidden pocket with velcro underneath for keys, money and the like however I can't say I'll ever really use it.
- Once you get the hang of how to fold it back up into the carrying pouch, it becomes second-nature and is easy to do.
- Slightly bulky and stiff but worth it for everything else you get and not sure if it will become more pliable over time or not...but this isn't the kind of fabric that you can sort of crumple up and throw in the corner in a hurry like a typical blanket. It folds nicely though, and rolls nicely.
- The back (waterproof side) is like a giant big black mat that almost makes you want to wipe your feet on it! It has a plasticy/rubbery look to it and it looks like water would roll right off it (I'm sure it woulld!). It gets kind of a wrinkly look to it from everywhere it's been folded on itself but I'm guessing that goes away in time or that the whole thing just loosens up a bit. Not exactly an organic, natural look or feel...but then no one's going to be looking at the bottom and it serves its purpose! I live in a VERY rainy climate so having a waterproof backing will come in handy on more than a few occasions!
- While I'm guessing there are heavier outdoor blankets out there, it's no sheet-like quality in weight, nor in folded-up size. It's not heavy per se but my old smaller and thin outdoor blanket mushed up into its own pocket is more like the size of a windbreaker jacket that folds into its own hood. This just makes its presence known more - in both size and weight and is more like the size of a large-ish purse. This wouldn't necessarily be a good hiking item if you had a big hike with lots of other gear, but it's a very reasonable size for walking to the park, and it will fit under strollers.
Hope this has helped! This was a lot to read but when I was looking into these, I didn't find much in the way of detailed reviews.
I purchased this hoping from the reviews that it would be a little heavier so the grass wouldn't be poking us and also so the dampness wouldn't come through. It's great. Just what I wanted along with the size being bigger than normal.0 of 0 users found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? Yes | No Report Violation »
Practical, high quality picnic blanket
Concert in the park or quick picnic with the grandkids, this picnic blanket keeps you dry and has enough body to keep your picnic items upright. It folds compactly and is easy to keep in the trunk; carrying handle is helpful.0 of 0 users found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? Yes | No Report Violation »