Chinese-born, American-raised Ken Hom is arguably the West’s most famous Chinese chef. Hailed as the man who transformed wok cooking into an art form, he has introduced Chinese cuisine to the tables of royalty, world leaders and countless celebrities. This book is the culmination of a lifetime of experience as a chef, teacher and the host of five hit TV cooking shows.
Complete Chinese Cookbook opens with a comprehensive introduction to Chinese cuisine. It describes China’s regional styles of cooking, the theory of yin-yang as it applies to food, essential equipment and ingredients, and Chinese cooking techniques. The recipes are organized by food type and include:
- Appetizers, such as dim sum dumplings, prawn crackers, curried vegetarian spring rolls
- Soups, such as hot and sour soup, corn soup with crabmeat, tomato eggflower soup
- Meats, such as barbecued roast pork, stir-fried beef with ginger, Beijing braised lamb
- Poultry, such as cashew chicken, Cantonese pressed duck, barbecued quail
- Fish and shellfish, such as crispy fish roll, Szechwan shrimp in chili sauce
- Vegetables, such as ginger broccoli, stir-fried Chinese greens
- Rice and noodles, such as egg fried rice, chicken on crispy noodles
- Desserts, such as sweet almond soup, egg custard, walnut cookies.
Chinese food is low in fat and heavy on fresh vegetables. Cooking it is quick and clean-up is a breeze. Complete Chinese Cookbook is the ideal guide to the world of healthy and delicious Chinese food.