In a perfect world, cooking for two would simply mean cutting standard recipes in half, but the test kitchen has found that for foolproof results, you often need a smaller pan, less cooking time, or even a different proportion of ingredients. And how do you scale down "big" dishes like lasagna, chili, and pie? In Cooking for Two 2013, the test kitchen has done all of the work for you.
Cook's Illustrated provides over 150 recipes for a wide range of dishes, from simple skillet suppers, pasta dinners, and everyday main dishes to salads, side dishes, and even desserts. There are chapters featuring lighter meals (like Seafood Risotto and Sauteed Boneless Pork Chops with Port Wine and Cherry Sauce) and slow-cooker suppers for two (such as Red Wine-Braised Short Ribs and Pork Chops with Cranberries). In the chapter "Dinner off the Grill," recipes like Grilled Marinated Skirt Steak with Zucchini Ribbons and Shaved Parmesan and Grilled Spicy Shrimp Masala with Zucchini and Couscous Salad produce complete dinners (main dish plus side dish) without requiring you to turn on the oven or light the stove.
We include a list of the most helpful smaller baking dishes, cake pans, loaf pans, and more that we use throughout the book, and as always, you'll get our picks for the best tasting, best performing supermarket ingredients tested this year.
Additional recipes include:
- Baked Risotto with Shrimp and Zucchini
- Mediterranean Chicken and Chorizo Paella
- Crispy Sesame Pork Cutlets with Wilted Napa Cabbage Salad
- Maryland Crab Cakes
- Skillet Chicken Fajitas
- 5-Alarm Chili
- Strip Steaks with Potato-Artichoke Ragu
- Cajun-Style Eggs in Purgatory with Cheesy Grits
- Chili-Glazed Salmon with Bok Choy
- Skillet Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce
- Sage, Walnut, and Browned Butter Pesto for Cheese Ravioli
- Vegetable Lasagna
- Grilled Wine-Herb Marinated Chicken with Warm Cabbage Slaw
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Scallops with Radicchio and Gorgonzola
- Apple Galette
- Banana Cream Pie
- Speedy Turtle Brownies
- Cranberry Nut Muffins
- Maple Pecan Scones
- Creme Caramel