A revolutionary--yet simple and practical--guide to staying fit and healthy based on evolutionary medicine.
Countless books and nutrition experts have advised modern readers to adopt the best of the “cave-man diet” that avoids processed foods and refined carbohydrates. But how and what people eat is only the beginning of what the study of human evolution can teach us about overall health and well-being. Based on the latest research in the burgeoning field of evolutionary medicine, Evolution Rx provides readers with not only an understanding of the underlying science of this discipline but with a practical means to making nutritional and lifestyle changes that address a wide range of topics from exercise and injury prevention to allergies, heart health, cancer, Alzheimer’s, and more:
- Why eating more fat, not less, can fuel weight loss
- Why human bodies can’t register fullness when eating carbohydrates--and what to do about it
- Why getting more sun leads to better health
- Why stretching before exercise--or after an injury--is a bad idea
- Why children should be encouraged to get dirty
Provocative, science-based, and practical, Evolution Rx presents a new and powerful way to understand the human body and how to promote vibrant health.