- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 sprigs fresh sage, divided
- 2 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, divided
- 1 whole chicken (4 pounds), rinsed and cleaned
- 2 stalks celery, rinsed and sliced
- 40 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced and toasted
Place 1 sprig each of thyme, rosemary, sage and Italian parsley in chicken cavity. Place celery in bottom of a slow cooker's stoneware pot. Put chicken on top of celery. Add garlic around chicken. Chop remaining herbs; sprinkle herbs, salt and pepper over chicken. Cover and cook on low setting, 8 to 10 hours or on high setting, 4 to 6 hours. To serve, place chicken, garlic and celery on serving platter. Squeeze roasted garlic out of skins onto toasted French bread slices and spread with a knife.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.