The mellow grilled eggplant melds perfectly with the smoked paprika and tart sherry vinegar that define the flavor of the dressing in this decidedly Spanish salad. The grilled eggplant brings some smoke to the salad on its own. Curls of mild Manchego cheese complete the Spanish theme.
- 2 small eggplants (about 1 pound total)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 small plum tomato, diced
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3 cups DOLE Spring Mix from one 5-ounce package
- 2 ounces Manchego cheese, cut into thin curls with a vegetable peeler
Preheat grill to medium.
Cut stripes in each eggplant's peel by running a vegetable peeler down the length of it and repeating at about 1-inch intervals. Slice the eggplants into rounds 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick. Lay them on a baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
Blot the eggplant slices with paper towels and lightly coat both sides with olive oil cooking spray. Grill the eggplant, flipping halfway through, until soft and browned on both sides, 9 to 11 minutes total.
Puree oil, vinegar, tomato, garlic, paprika and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a blender until well combined.
Toss Spring Mix with half the vinaigrette in a medium bowl. Arrange the eggplant slices on 6 salad plates. Drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Place the salad greens over and between the eggplant slices, then scatter the cheese curls on top of each salad. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.