Tell your parents not to throw away the leftover spaghetti the next time they serve it for dinner. In fact, ask them to make about half a pound extra so you can have leftovers on purpose. Why? Because it's time for Spaghetti Pie! This recipe is like making a pie and pizza and spaghetti all at the same time. You mix the leftover spaghetti with sauce and cheese, add a few extra ingredients if you choose, and bake it in a pie pan until it's crispy on top. Then you cut it into wedge-shaped pieces that you can eat with your hands. It's hard to make a mistake with this recipe, so just relax and have a good time. Here's what some of the kids who tested this recipe had to say about it: "This spaghetti is kind of not normal." —Amanda "Silly me! I thought it was going to be dessert!" — Emily "You have to eat it over a plate, because pieces might fall off." —Liat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups cooked spaghetti (1/2 pound uncooked)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce (half a 26-ounce jar)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated mouncezarella cheese or Monterey jack cheese
- Extras (You Choose:)
- A handful of sliced black olives
- 10 mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper slices
Time: It takes about 15 minutes to prepare and another 30 minutes to bake. That's a total of 45 minutes, start to finish.
You Will Also Need:
- Handheld grater or food processor fitted with the grating attachment for grating the cheese ahead of time
- Small, sharp knife and a cutting board for preparing the extras, if you choose them, ahead of time
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Deep 10-inch pie pan
- Brush for paining oil in the pan
- Large bowl
- 2-cup liquid measure
- Long-handled spoon or fork
- Rubber spatula
- Timer with a bell
- Knife and spatula for serving
- Plates and forks
Ask an Adult for Help with:
- Cooking and draining the spaghetti ahead of time
- Turning on the oven
- Setting up the food processor and taking the cheese out of it
- Putting the pan into the oven and taking it out
- Cutting the pie into wedges
Note to the Adult:
To cook the spaghetti, add 1/2 pound spaghetti to a pot of boiling water. Stir, and boil for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Drain in a colander.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Ten Speed Press. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
352 calories; 11g total fat; 17mg cholesterol; 864mg sodium; 47g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 17g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .