This recipe comes alive with vegetables and spiciness, transforming healthy creamed wheat into something as flavorful as it is hearty. (Adapted from Betty Crocker's Indian Home Cooking by Raghavan Iyer; Hungry Minds, Inc., 2001.)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup cashews, chopped (1 1/4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup dried yellow split peas (chana dal)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup frounceen green peas
- 2 to 3 fresh Thai, serrano or cayenne chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup wheat cereal (farina), such as Cream of Wheat (not instant)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Heat the oil and mustard seeds in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the seeds begin to pop, cover the pan and wait until the popping stops. Add the cashews and yellow split peas; stir-fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Add the onion and ginger; stir-fry until the onion is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the water, potatoes, peas, chilies, salt and turmeric; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the wheat cereal; simmer, covered, until all the water is absorbed, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato and cilantro. Cover and simmer until the tomato is warm, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
199 calories; 6g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 322mg sodium; 28g carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 6g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is*
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .