- Special Savings
The familiar blend of poultry, vegetables and pastry is a comforting part of American food culture, but traditional versions are not as nourishing as the cozy name implies. Our enlightened potpie uses reduced-fat sour cream to make a rich sauce and tops the filling with scrumptious whole-wheat buttermilk biscuits.
- For the Filling:
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup frounceen small onions, thawed
- 1 cup peeled baby carrots
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, wiped clean and halved
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 cup frounceen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- For the Biscuit Topping:
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk or equivalent buttermilk powder (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Tip: To replace 1 cup fresh buttermilk in a recipe with powdered buttermilk, mix 4 tablespoons in with the dry ingredients and add 1 cup water to the wet ingredients.
FOR THE FILLING:
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots; cook, stirring, until golden brown and tender, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until browned and their liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Return the onions and carrots to the pan. Add 2 cups broth and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to a simmer. Mix the cornstarch with the remaining 1/2 cup broth; add to the pan and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the turkey (or chicken), peas, sour cream, salt and pepper. Transfer the filling to a 2-quart baking dish.
FOR THE TOPPING AND TO BAKE THE POTPIE:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Whisk the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and thyme in a large bowl. Using your fingertips or 2 knives, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly. Add the buttermilk and oil; stir until just combined. Drop the dough onto the filling in 5 or 6 even portions. Set the baking dish on a baking sheet.
Bake the potpie until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes; serve.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
375 calories; 12g total fat; 4g total saturated fat; 55mg cholesterol; 670mg sodium; 42g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 27g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .