Feel free to add an additional chipotle pepper to crank up the heat in this one-pot meal. Cooked wheat berries will keep for up to 1 month in your freezer; there’s no need to thaw them—stir them directly into the chili.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 (14-ounce) cans no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced (see Tip)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 cups Cooked Wheat Berries (see recipe link below)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Tip: Canned chipotle peppers (smoked jalapenos) in adobo sauce add heat and a smoky flavor. Look for the small cans with other Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, they will keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Companion recipe: Cooked Wheat Berries
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, chipotle to taste, broth and brown sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
Stir in cooked wheat berries and heat through, about 5 minutes more. (If using frozen wheat berries, cook until thoroughly heated). Remove from the heat. Stir in lime juice. Garnish each bowl with avocado and cilantro.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
386 calories; 11g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 705mg sodium; 61g carbohydrates; 15g fiber; 14g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is*
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .