A Gilding of Shrimp & Saffron Rice
- Active Time 40m
- Total Time 1h
4 servings, 1 1/2 cups saute & 1 cup rice each
Golden saffron and a bounty of herbs and summer vegetables make this a beautiful and fresh-tasting dish. Don't overseason; let the flavors sing.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound raw shrimp (21 to 25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup tightly packed fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Ingredient Note: Saffron, the world's most expensive spice, is the dried stigma of a crocus and contributes a pungent flavor and intense yellow color to food. It is sold in threads and powdered form.
Bring the water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and saffron to taste to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rice, return to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
About 10 minutes before the rice is done, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender (do not brown), 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in the mint and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the lemon juice; remove from the heat. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Serve over the rice.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
350 calories; 10g total fat; 2g total saturated fat; 168mg cholesterol; 790mg sodium; 42g carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 24g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .