- Active Time 30m
- Total Time 45m
about 3 dozen cookies
These wholesome cinnamon-sugar-crusted apple-oatmeal cookies—without a gram of saturated fat—make snack time enjoyable for everybody.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large egg whites or 4 teaspoons dried egg whites, reconstituted according to package directions
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded peeled apple, such as McIntosh or Cortland (about 1 small apple)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup diced dried apples
- Tip: Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in health-food stores; it gives baked goods a light texture while adding fiber. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Spread the oats and nuts on a baking sheet. Bake until fragrant and golden, 5-8 minutes; set aside. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Combine the egg whites, shredded apple, brown sugar, apple butter, 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, oil and vanilla in a large bowl; stir until blended. Add the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Stir in the dried apples and reserved oats and nuts.. Drop the dough by level tablespoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets.
Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Coat the bottom of a glass with cooking spray. Dip the glass into the cinnamon sugar and flatten cookies with it, dipping the glass into the cinnamon sugar for each. Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
70 calories; 2g total fat; 0g total saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 56mg sodium; 12g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 1g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .