Avgolemono is a classic sauce of chicken broth, egg yolks and lemon juice; the addition of a bit more chicken broth, rice and shredded chicken turns it into a satisfying soup.
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or low-sodium broth or low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked white rice, warmed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat pulled from the bones and coarsely shredded (1 pound)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
In a large saucepan, season the stock with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Transfer 1 cup of the hot stock to a blender. Add 1/2 cup of the rice, the egg yolks and the lemon juice and puree until smooth. Stir the puree into the simmering stock along with the chicken and the remaining 1 1/2 cups of rice and simmer until thickened slightly, 10 minutes. Stir in the dill and serve.
Get more Food & Wine recipes
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close