Baked Country Eggs with Mushrooms
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups halved fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk, heated
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium chicken stock powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 1/2 cup buttered dark breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the mushrooms, onion and green pepper, and sauté until the mushrooms begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
In another medium saucepan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Add the flour and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the mixture bubbles up. Add the heated milk all at once, whisking smooth, and cook until the mixture bubbles in the center. Add the parsley, chicken stock powder, curry powder, salt and pepper, and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Butter a shallow gratin dish (7 x 10 x 3 inches) or a flat 10-inch round casserole. Quarter the eggs and arrange in the dish, yolk-side up. Stir the mushroom mixture into the white sauce and pour over the eggs. Sprinkle the crumbs over the top and bake for 40 minutes or until is golden brown and bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close