Baked Pasta with Italian Turkey Sausage and Fontina
6 to 8 servings
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage (hot/spicy preferred), casings removed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon each coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound rigatoni, cooked according to package directions and drained
- 6 ounces fontina cheese (4 ounces cut into 1/4-inch cubes and 2 ounces grated)
- Nonstick cooking spray, for the baking dish
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat, crumble the sausage. Cook, breaking up the sausage into small pieces with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until the sausage is no longer pink. Remove from the pan.
Add oil to the pan. When the oil is hot, add the onion and saute until the onion is tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and garlic. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Return the sausage to the skillet. Blend together all the ingredients. Bring the mixture to a simmer and gently simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
Stir in the cream and warm through.
In a large bowl, toss the cooked and drained pasta and sauce together. Add the cubed fontina cheese and toss well.
Spray a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon the mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining grated fontina and Parmesan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until hot throughout and the cheese melts.
Recipe reprinted by permission of National Turkey Federation. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .