- Special Pricing
Baked Rigatoni with Spicy Sausage & Cheese
- Active Time 30m
- Total Time 1h
Spicy Italian sausage and mushrooms are perfect baked with cheesy rigatoni. Make it a meal: Complete this meal with Radicchio & Fennel Salad.
- 4 ounces hot Italian sausage (2 links)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
- Two 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice (recipe-ready) or two 14-ounce cans plum tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 1/4 cup dry red or white wine
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat rigatoni mostaccioli or penne
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Coat a 3-quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
Crumble the sausage into a large nonstick skillet (discard casings) and cook over medium heat, stirring, until browned and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside. Wipe any fat from the pan.
Heat the oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and rosemary; cook, stirring, until the mushrooms begin to give off liquid, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes (and their juices), wine and the cooked sausage. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. (The sauce will be quite thin.) Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and add to the sauce; toss to coat.
Spread half of the pasta and sauce in the prepared baking dish. Dot with spoonfuls of ricotta and top with the remaining pasta. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the pasta and continue to bake, uncovered, until the top is golden, about 10 minutes.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
368 calories; 8g total fat; 2g total saturated fat; 21mg cholesterol; 320mg sodium; 55g carbohydrates; 7g fiber; 19g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .