Banana Nut Cake
Serves 18 - 20
Hands down, this is Michael's favorite cake. It's a sweet, scrumptious memory of the days when his mother, Carmel, would bake it for him. In the Groover household, it was a family tradition that on your birthday you chose your favorite cake. Michael remembers this cake becoming his favorite at age five, and his request has not changed to this day. So naturally this just had to be his groom's cake.
- Butter, for greasing pans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting pans
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Butter and flour three 9-inch round cake pans; set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the eggs and oil and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened; do not beat. Stir in the banana, pecans and vanilla. Divide the batter among the prepared pans and bake for 23-28 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake layers in the pans for 10 minutes, and then turn them out onto a rack to cool completely. While the cake cools, make the frosting.
3. In a bowl, blend together the cream cheese and butter. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. Stir in the pecans, or reserve them to sprinkle over the frosted cake. Fill and frost the cake when it is completely cool.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Clarkson Potter 2005. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .