- Special Pricing
Berza Gitana (Gypsy Meat and Vegetable Stew)
4 to 8 servings
- 1/2 pound dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
- 1/2 pound dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 4 stalks celery, sliced into medium pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 pound pork shoulder, cut into large cubes
- 1/2 pound Spanish-style chorizo, thickly sliced
- 6 ounces pancetta, cubed
- 6 ounces Spanish-style blood sausage, sliced into thick rounds (Blood sausage is made of pig's blood suet, breadcrumbs and oatmeal.)
- 1 pig's tail, cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1 whole dried red bell pepper
Put the chickpeas in a medium pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low; simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, put the cannellini beans in a medium pot. Add the celery and cover with cold water by 2 1/2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low and simmer, skimming off any foam, until the beans are tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Drain and set aside, reserving the cooking water.
While the beans cook, heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the paprika and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the pork, chorizo, pancetta, blood sausage, pig's tail, dried red bell pepper and 4 cups water. Increase the heat to high, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the pork is almost tender, about 30 minutes.
Add the chickpeas, cannellini beans, celery and 1 cup reserved cooking water. Season to taste with salt, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the stew has thickened slightly, 20 to 30 minutes. Adjust seasonings and discard the pepper stem before serving.
Special Offer: Get more recipes from Saveur, the award-winning magazine for those passionate about food, drink and travel. Click for details.
Recipe reprinted by permission of World Publication, LLC. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .