- Special Savings
Pork and Black Bean Bowls
- Active Time 15m
- Total Time 25m
This dish comes from the novelist Jorge Lopez Paez who often serves this tasty casserole for lunch. Here the beans are served as a main course, accompanied by many different condiments that each diner can add to taste.
- 1 1/2 pounds pork spare ribs, cut to 3/4-inch lengths
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 of an onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 2 small oranges
- 2 cups cooked black beans plus 1 1/2 cups bean broth
- For the Toppings:
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 7 ounces queso fresco or farmer cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh arbol chiles, jalapeno chiles, or serrano chiles
- 3 1/2 crumbled chicarrons (pork rind)
- 1 1/2 bacon, fried, drained, and crumbled
- 5 cups finely shredded lettuce
Place the ribs in a pot and add water to cover. Add the salt, onion and garlic and boil over medium heat. When the ribs are soft and the water is almost completely evaporated, add the orange juice and let evaporate. Set aside but keep hot.
Reheat the beans with the broth in an earthenware casserole that they can also be served in. When heated, add the ribs.
Meanwhile, put the first 8 toppings in individual bowls. Allow each person to fill his or her bowl first with beans, meat and then with a choice of toppings.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Russell. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
1185 calories; 91g total fat; 187mg cholesterol; 2792mg sodium; 23g carbohydrates; 7g fiber; 69g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .