Blackened Cajun Turkey Sandwich with Creole Sauce
- For the Cajun Seasoning:
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- For the Creole Sauce:
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups celery, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups green pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon bay leaf, ground
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaf
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 1/3 cups tomato, peeled, seeded & chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons hot red pepper sauce
- For the Sandwich:
- 2 1/2 pounds onions, sliced
- 1 pound, 14 ounces green peppers, seeded and sliced
- 5 pounds split turkey breast, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- 1 1/4 pounds mouncezarella cheese, sliced
- 20 kaiser rolls, split horizontally
- Toothpicks, for serving
FOR THE CAJUN SEASONING:
Blend the paprika, salt, onion and garlic powders, cayenne, white and black peppers, thyme and oregano thoroughly. Store in an airtight container.
FOR THE CREOLE SAUCE:
Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and saute the onions, celery and green pepper over high heat until light brown, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, all herbs, salt and peppers, tomatoes and hot pepper sauce. Blend well and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until thick. Cool and store covered and refrigerated.
FOR THE SANDWICH:
Preheat a grill. Grill the onions and peppers until browned and set aside.
Sprinkle turkey breast on both sides with Cajun Seasoning and press on firmly.
Per sandwich: Heat a very light coating of vegetable oil in a heavy saute pan over high heat until smoking. Add a turkey slice and cook about 1 1/2 minutes per side until blackened. When almost done, place mozzarella on top to melt.
Spread Creole Sauce on bottom half of a roll. Place the hot turkey slice with cheese on the bottom of the roll and cover with onions, green peppers, and top half of roll. Place a toothpick in both sides of sandwich and cut in half on the diagonal. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted by permission of National Turkey Federation. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
470 calories; 14g total fat; 95mg cholesterol; 1710mg sodium; 44g carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 41g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .