Leftovers make this chicken gumbo an absolute breeze. The only prep you’ll need to do is to dice a bell pepper and slice some okra if you’re using fresh. That’s it! If you don’t have leftover chicken and sauce from Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken, you can use 2 cups shredded cooked chicken and 2 cups canned diced tomatoes instead of the leftover sauce.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded chicken from Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken (see recipe link above)
- 2 cups sauce from Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced okra, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice (see Tip)
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Tip: If you want to use rice that is not “instant,” stir in 1 cup of any leftover cooked rice instead. Or, if you have time, add 1/2 cup of quicker-cooking whole-grain rice, such as Bhutanese red rice or Kalijira rice and an additional 1 1/4 cups of chicken broth before adding the okra. Cook until the rice is almost tender, about 25 minutes (or according to package instructions) then add the okra and simmer until it is tender.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and flour and cook, stirring, until the pepper is beginning to soften and the flour is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken, sauce, broth, okra, rice and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the flavors meld and the okra is tender, about 10 minutes.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
362 calories; 16g total fat; 4g total saturated fat; 81mg cholesterol; 674mg sodium; 24g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 27g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .