- Special Savings
- For the Brining Procedure:
- One 15-pound whole turkey, (not self-basting or kosher) thawed, giblets and neck removed
- 2 cups table salt (do not substitute equal amounts of kosher salt)
- 2 gallons* icy cold water
- 4 cups brown sugar, ** See Note
- 1/2 cup dried rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup dried thyme leaves
- For the Roasting Procedure:
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled &, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small stalk celery, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4-6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- As needed fresh fruit for garnish
FOR THE BRINING PROCEDURE:
Rinse turkey in cool water. In a very large clean container (non-corrosive pan or stockpot such as stainless steel or glass or a food-grade plastic container), mix salt and water together until salt dissolves. Stir in brown sugar and spices, mix well until sugar dissolves. Totally submerge poultry in solution and store, covered, in refrigerator for at least 6 hours and up to 8 hours. Since brining does not preserve meat, the turkey must be kept below 40 degrees F throughout the entire brining process. Ice packs may also be used to keep turkey at a safe temperature of below 40 degrees F.
Remove turkey from brine. Discard brine. Thoroughly rinse the interior and exterior of the turkey by placing it on a wire rack and setting both rack and turkey in a clean, empty sink. Use cool water from the spray hose and rub gently to release the salt and sugar from the turkey. Pat skin and both interior cavities dry.
* NOTE: The ratio of water to salt is appropriate for a 15-pound turkey. If a larger or smaller turkey is brined, please calculate accordingly.
* *NOTE: Other combinations of herbs may be added including 6-8 bay leaves, 3 cloves garlic and 2 teaspoons black peppercorns. Or a spicy flavor may be achieved by the addition of 1 cup small dried red chili peppers.
FOR THE ROASTING PROCEDURE:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In the cavity of turkey, place onion, carrot and celery. Brush turkey with melted butter.
Roast turkey, breast side down, in the oven for 2 hours. During this time, baste legs and back twice with melted butter.
Remove turkey from oven and, protecting your hands, grasp turkey with several layers of clean paper towels at both ends, and turn turkey, breast side up.
Return turkey to oven and continue to roast, basting twice with pan dripping. Continue to roast until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F in the breast and 180 degrees F in the thigh. NOTE: A brined turkey cooks slightly faster than an unbrined turkey, so check the internal temperature frequently.
Remove turkey from the oven and allow to stand for 20 minutes before carving. Transfer to a platter and garnish with fresh fruit.
Recipe reprinted by permission of National Turkey Federation. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
380 calories; 18g total fat; 145mg cholesterol; 550mg sodium; 1g carbohydrates; 0g fiber; 50g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .