A great make-ahead entree, this lightened-up pasta salad is loaded with broccoli and peppers. Smoky ham and sweet raisins give it plenty of punch. Enjoy the leftovers for a fuss-free lunch. Recipe by Nancy Baggett for EatingWell.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- For Creamy Herbed Dressing:
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion or dried chopped chives
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried tarragon or dill
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt or celery salt or 1/4 teaspoon of each
- White pepper, to taste
- For Salad:
- 3 cups cooked whole-wheat fusilli or similar pasta (about 6 ounces dry)
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets (about 1 1/2 large heads)
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham (8 ounces), preferably reduced-sodium
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper (or a combination), diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion, plus slices for garnish
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup torn radicchio leaves
To prepare the dressing: Combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, sour cream, vinegar, mustard, honey, onion (or chives), tarragon (or dill) and onion salt (and/or celery salt) in a bowl until well blended. Season with white pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired.
To prepare the salad: Combine the pasta, broccoli, ham, bell pepper, diced onion and raisins in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss until evenly incorporated. Cover and refrigerate to blend the flavors for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
Serve on a bed of spinach and radicchio, garnished with slices of red onion.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
306 calories; 7g total fat; 2g total saturated fat; 31mg cholesterol; 838mg sodium; 46g carbohydrates; 6g fiber; 19g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .