Butternut Squash Soup
- Active Time 15m
- Total Time 1h 15m
Makes 8 servings
This lovely autumnal soup is flavored with orange and garnished with apple slices.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups 1-inch slices leeks (white part only; 2 leeks)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onions (2 ounces)
- 2 carrots, sliced (8 ounces)
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch wedges (4 ounces)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks (2 pounds)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 7 cups Vegetable Broth or Chicken Stock, plus more if necessary
- 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 8 teaspoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 green or red apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (4 ounces)
- 8 sprigs fresh chervil
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the leeks,
onions, carrots, apple wedges, squash, thyme, bay leaf, allspice, cinnamon,
and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the
vegetables begin to soften. Add the broth. Bring to a boil over high heat,
reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered, for about 45
minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the thyme sprig and bay
leaf and let the soup cool for 15 minutes.
In a blender or food processor, process the soup to a smooth
consistency. (This may have to be done in batches.) Return to the pot, stir
in the orange juice concentrate, and reheat gently, adjusting the
consistency by adding more broth if necessary.
Ladle the soup into heated soup bowls and garnish each with a
teaspoon of yogurt, a couple of apple slices, and a sprig of chervil.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Broadway Books. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
153 calories; 2g total fat; 0mg cholesterol; 643mg sodium; 29g carbohydrates; 6g fiber; 8g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .