- Special Pricing
The full, earthy Tex-Mex flavors of chorizo, black beans and chili blend perfectly, if somewhat unexpectedly, with corkscrew-shaped macaroni.
A sparkling wine or crisp sauvignon blanc from California – or even a Mexican beer – is a good foil for this spicy dish.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 pound cured chorizo or other spicy hard sausage such as pepperoni, casings removed and sausage cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound cavatappi
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and sauté until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, oregano and chili powder and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add the chorizo, tomato paste and broth to the pan and stir. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the black beans, the lime juice and the salt and remove the pan from the heat.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the cavatappi until just done, about 13 minutes. Drain; toss with the sauce and parsley.
- For firm canned black beans rather than the usual mushy, overprocessed specimens, we prefer the Goya brand.
- If you use tomato paste in small quantities, consider buying a tube of one of the imported Italian brands. The tube lasts a long time in the refrigerator, just like anchovy paste, so you won't have to open a whole can for one or two tablespoons.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Food and Wine. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
637 calories; 34g total fat; 50mg cholesterol; 1540mg sodium; 57g carbohydrates; 6g fiber; 27g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .