Although the chef's salad originated as a way for frugal cooks to use up leftover ingredients, this diner favorite has long since evolved into a featured dish on its own. The salad will look best if the meats and cheeses are all cut into strips of nearly uniform size, about 3/8 inch (1 cm) wide and 2 inches (5 cm) long.
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely minced shallot
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- For the Salad:
- 2 heads butter lettuce, pale inner leaves only, carefully washed and dried
- 1/3 pound honey-baked ham, cut into julienne strips
- 1/3 pound smoked chicken or roast turkey, cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 pound Monterey Jack or Swiss cheese, cut into julienne strips
- 8 red or yellow cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, cut into quarters
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, shallot, and salt and pepper to taste. Slowly pour in the vegetable and olive oils, whisking continuously. Continue whisking for another 10 to 20 seconds until emulsified. Set aside.
FOR THE SALAD:
Tear any larger lettuce leaves into bite-sized pieces; leave the smaller leaves whole. Place the lettuce in a large salad bowl or 4 individual salad bowls. Arrange the ham, chicken or turkey, and cheese on top, keeping each ingredient separate and radiating the strips outward from the center of the bowl. Place the tomato and egg wedges in between the meats and cheese.
Serve the salad with the vinaigrette on the side, then dress and toss at the table.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Owen. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
559 calories; 45g total fat; 252mg cholesterol; 1387mg sodium; 8g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 34g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close