These pies would also be delicious with spinach or Swiss chard in place of the kale. Or, make a vegetarian version with cooked mushrooms instead of the chicken.
- Flaky Pie Dough (see below), recipe doubled and 1 cup shredded cheddar added with flour, or store-bought
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 leek (white and light-green parts only), halved lengthwise, cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick and rinsed well
- 1 small bunch black (Tuscan) kale, tough stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked chicken, torn into bite-size pieces (about 5 ounces)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
For the Flaky Pie Dough Recipe:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup ice water
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Divide the dough in half. On a floured sheet of parchment paper, roll out one half to a 14-inch round. With a knife or biscuit cutter, cut out six 4 1/4-inch circles (rerolling dough once if necessary) and transfer, on parchment, to a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough, cutting out six (larger) 4 1/2-inch rounds. Chill rounds on sheet until ready to use.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high. Add the leek and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the kale and thyme, season with salt and pepper and cook until the kale wilts, 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir to combine. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring often, until the mixture thickens, 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper and stir in the chicken. Let cool slightly.
Place a heaping 1/4 cup chicken mixture on each of the smaller dough rounds, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Brush the edges with egg and top with larger dough rounds; using fingers, press the edges firmly to seal. Cut a small vent in each pie. Bake until browned and crisp, 30 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway through. Let cool slightly on sheets on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Flaky Pie Dough:
In a food processor, pulse the flour and salt to combine. Add the butter; pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons ice water; pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add up to 2 tablespoons more water, 1 tablespoon at a time). Form dough into a 1-inch-thick rectangle, wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour (or up to 3 days).
Recipe reprinted by permission of Martha Stewart Everyday Food. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is*
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .