- Special Savings
At Boston's Tupelo, chef Rembs Layman prepares rich gumbo with house-made stock and a jerk seasoning blend from Christina's Spice & Specialty Foods. To make it easier, we use store-bought rotisserie chicken, canned chicken broth and supermarket jerk or Cajun seasoning.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 large celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 6 ounces andouille links, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons prepared jerk paste or 1 tablespoon ground jerk seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon smoked hot paprika
- 3/4 pound fresh or thawed frozen okra, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 3 1/2-pound rotisserie chicken, meat shredded, skin and bones discarded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Tabasco, to taste
- Steamed rice, for serving
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, whisk the flour with 1/2 cup of oil until smooth. Cook the roux over moderately low heat, whisking often, until deep brown, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Add the onion, celery, bell peppers and garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 20 minutes.
Gradually add the stock to the casserole, whisking until smooth. Add the andouille, bay leaves, jerk paste, thyme and paprika and bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the okra to the casserole and simmer until tender, 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken meat and season the gumbo with salt, pepper and Tabasco. Discard the bay leaves, ladle the gumbo over rice, garnish with the scallions and serve with Tabasco.
Get more Food & Wine recipes
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .