- Special Pricing
Zucchini and celery give this chicken-and-bean salad a nice crunch. We like serving it over a bed of slightly bitter escarole and radicchio, but any type of salad greens will work. Recipe by Nancy Baggett for EatingWell.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 (omitting basil), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Stir in chopped basil just before serving.
- For Vinaigrette:
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons fresh orange juice, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- For Salad:
- One 15-ounce can cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken breast (see Tip)
- 2 cups diced zucchini and/or summer squash (about 2 small)
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1/4 cup finely diced ricotta salata, halloumi (see Shopping Tip, above) or feta cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped, well-drained, oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, plus whole basil leaves for garnish
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste (optional)
- 2 cups torn escarole or romaine lettuce
- 2 cups torn radicchio leaves
- Tip: : To poach chicken breasts, place about 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Ricotta salata and halloumi are both firm, salted cheeses that can be found at large supermarkets and cheese shops.
To prepare the vinaigrette: Peel the garlic and smash with the side of a chef’s knife. Using a fork, mash the garlic with the salt in a small bowl to form a coarse paste. Whisk in the oil. Add the orange juice, vinegar and mustard; whisk until well blended. Taste and whisk in up to 4 tablespoons more juice to mellow the flavor; season with more salt, if desired. Set aside at room temperature.
To prepare the salad: Combine the beans, chicken, zucchini (and/or summer squash), celery, cheese and sun-dried tomatoes (if using) in a large bowl until well blended. Add the chopped basil and 3/4 cup vinaigrette; toss until combined. Taste and season with salt and/or pepper, if desired.
Toss the remaining vinaigrette with the escarole (or romaine) and radicchio in a medium bowl. Serve the salad on the greens, garnished with fresh basil leaves.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
428 calories; 23g total fat; 5g total saturated fat; 79mg cholesterol; 667mg sodium; 24g carbohydrates; 8g fiber; 34g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .