Chicken Chow Mein
- Active Time 20m
- Total Time 20m
- 6 cups vegetable oil for deep-frying, plus 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 1/2 ounce fresh thin egg noodles
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 onion, cut into eighths
- 1 pound skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3/4-in cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 bunch choy sum or spinach, trimmed and cut into 2-in (5-cm) lengths
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth mixed with 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Heat 6 cups oil in wok until it reaches 375 degrees F. on deep-frying thermometer or until small bread cube dropped in oil sizzles and turns golden. Working in small batches, add noodles and fry until golden and crisp, 1-2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
In wok over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Add garlic, ginger, and onion, and stir-fry until onion softens slightly, about 3 minutes. Add chicken and stir-fry until browned, 3-4 minutes. Add bell peppers and choy sum and stir-fry until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Stir in hoisin sauce and broth and cornstarch mixture and cook until sauce boils and thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.
TO SERVE: Arrange crisp noodles in nest on serving plates. Top with chicken and vegetables.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Periplus. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
552 calories; 39g total fat; 110mg cholesterol; 336mg sodium; 25g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 27g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close