Many curries are fiery, but this one is gently spiced with turmeric, which alternative-health experts laud as a powerful anti-inflammatory.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 hot chilies with seeds, minced
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 yellow squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Rice and lemon wedges
- Tip: One Serving 306 cal, 12 gm fat, 3.9 gm sat fat, 23 gm carb, 4.6 gm fiber.
In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chilies and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and turmeric and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook over moderate heat until barely tender, 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and squash, cover partially and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 15 minutes.
Add the chicken to the casserole, season with salt and pepper and cook just until white throughout, about 5 minutes. Serve over rice, with lemon wedges.
Get more Food & Wine recipes
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close