Once the signature dish of a New York restaurant, the Divan Parisienne, Chicken Divan became a party favorite. Here, its richer elements are streamlined, without sacrificing taste.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced leek, white and light green parts only (about 1 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- One 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (see Ingredient note)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Two 10-ounce boxes frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, or 1 pound broccoli crowns, chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Tip: To clean leeks: Trim roots and ragged tops. Slice leeks and place in plenty of water, then drain. Repeat a few times. The slices do not absorb water or lose flavor.
The "cooking sherry" sold in many supermarkets can be surprisingly high in sodium. We prefer dry sherry, sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 7 by 11-inch (2 quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
Place the chicken in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and slice into bite-size pieces.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leek and salt and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the flour; stir to coat. Add the broth, milk, sherry, thyme and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Add the broccoli; return to a simmer. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan, mayonnaise and mustard.
Spread half the broccoli mixture in the prepared baking dish. Top with the chicken, then the remaining broccoli mixture. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Bake until bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
312 calories; 11g total fat; 4g total saturated fat; 76mg cholesterol; 652mg sodium; 19g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 35g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .