The casserole favorite takes two easy comfort ingredients -- chicken and noodles -- and makes a standby dinner recipe of them.
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 3 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups 2 percent milk
- 1 1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
In a large nonstick skillet, sauté onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink. Add the broth, carrots, celery and savory. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over chicken mixture. Add noodles; mix well.
Transfer to a 3-quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly.
Special Offer: Take advantage of a special offer for Cooking.com guests and subscribe today to Taste of Home magazine! Click for details.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Reiman Publications, LLC. &copy; 2002. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close