Skinless breast meat dipped in egg whites and ground whole-wheat crackers forms a good-for-you chicken parmigiana.
- 3 ounces baked whole-grain wheat crackers, such as Triscuits (about 12)
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes (no salt added), with juice
- 1/2 medium onion (3 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped (2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large egg whites
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 3 ounces part-skim mozzarella, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 ounce pecorino Romano cheese, finely grated (about 1/2 cup)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Pulse the crackers, parsley, oregano and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor until finely ground. Season with pepper, and transfer to a plate. Puree the tomatoes with juice, onion, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt with an immersion blender or in clean food processor until smooth.
Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with the oil. Lightly whisk the egg whites, and transfer to a shallow dish. Dip each chicken breast half in the whites to fully coat; let excess drip off. Dredge the chicken in the crumb mixture, lightly pressing, to coat both sides.
Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking dish, and flip once to coat in the oil. Bake until crisp, about 10 minutes.
Pour the tomato sauce over the chicken, allowing some sauce underneath each piece. Top with the cheeses, and bake until bubbling and top is lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Martha Stewart Living. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 15% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close