Chicken Tagine with Green Olives
- Active Time 30m
- Total Time 1h 15m
Chicken, lemon and green olives are a classic Moroccan flavor combination. Serve over couscous with tomatoes or brown rice & greens.
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs (3 1/2-4 pounds), skin and fat removed
- Salt & coarsely ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh red or green chile pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 all-purpose potatoes (8 ounces), peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup large green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken thighs (in batches if necessary) and cook, moving them around every couple of minutes, until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Pour off fat.
Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add onion slices and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and chiles and cook for 2 minutes longer. Add broth, potatoes, olives, lemon juice, thyme, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, paprika and the reserved chicken. Bring to a simmer.
Cover the pan, transfer it to the oven, and bake until the chicken thighs are tender, 45 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
438 calories; 23g total fat; 5g total saturated fat; 137mg cholesterol; 625mg sodium; 15g carbohydrates; 2g fiber; 42g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .