Chicken Tostada Salad
- Active Time 20m
Dress these salads with your favorite Mexican flavors. We like tomato, avocado, red onion and cilantro, but you can also add salsa, sour cream or taco sauce to the mix.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/2 small red onion, diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Breast meat from 1 rotisserie chicken, torn into bite-size pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce (6 ounces), shredded
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced small
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with 2 teaspoons oil and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden and crisp, 10 minutes. Divide the cheese among the tortillas and return to the oven. Bake until the cheese is bubbling, about 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. Add half the red onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the chili powder and garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the chicken and 1/4 cup water and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the chicken is warmed through and the water is almost evaporated, 2 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon lime juice and remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine the lettuce and 1 tablespoon lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Toss well to coat and divide among the tortillas. Top each tortilla with the chicken mixture, tomato, avocado, remaining onion and cilantro.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Martha Stewart Everyday Food. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close