- Special Pricing
Rather than a heavy, fried falafel, here's an updated version of this pocket sandwich: a light chickpea patty served in a whole-wheat pita with a flavorful but light tahini sauce.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the uncooked burger mixture and tahini sauce for up to 2 days.
- For Chickpea Burgers:
- One 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Two 6-1/2-inch whole-wheat pitas, halved and warmed, if desired
- For Tahini Sauce:
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tahini (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Ingredient Note: Tahini is a smooth, thick paste made from ground sesame seeds and commonly used in Middle Eastern foods. Look for it in the Middle Eastern section or near other nut butters in large supermarkets.
To prepare the burgers: Place the chickpeas, scallions, egg, flour, oregano, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor. Pulse, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides, until a coarse mixture forms that holds together when pressed. (The mixture will be moist.) Form into 4 patties.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook until golden and beginning to crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes more.
To prepare the sauce & serve: Meanwhile, combine the yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, parsley and salt in a medium bowl. Divide the patties among the pitas and serve with the sauce.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
399 calories; 15g total fat; 3g total saturated fat; 55mg cholesterol; 743mg sodium; 55g carbohydrates; 9g fiber; 15g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .