- 1 cup dried chickpeas (garbanzos)
- 2 medium tomatoes, skinned
- 3 1/2 ounces black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 purple (Spanish) onion, cut into fine rings
- For the Dressing:
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf (continental) parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Soak the chickpeas in cold water overnight. Drain.
Cook in boiling salted water until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and refresh under cold water.
Halve the tomatoes, remove the seeds and chop finely. Combine the chickpeas, tomato, olives and onion.
FOR THE DRESSING:
Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix until the ingredients are combined and well-coated with dressing.
Serve at room temperature as an accompaniment, or as part of an antipasto selection.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Russell. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
253 calories; 16g total fat; 0mg cholesterol; 530mg sodium; 23g carbohydrates; 6g fiber; 6g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 15% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close