Chickpeas Cooked in a Moghlai-Style
- Active Time 25m
- Total Time 40m
- 5 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cardamom pods
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 piece of ginger (2 inches), peeled and grated to a pulp
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, mashed to a pulp
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon pureed tomatoes
- 7 to 7 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas drained, cooking liquid reserved
- 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground amchoor
- 1 tablespoon ground roasted cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tightly packed cup finely chopped fresh coriander
Put the oil in a large (12-inch) pot and heat on moderately high heat. When the oil is hot, add the bay leaves, cinnamon and cardamom. Stir a few times, then add the onions. Stir and fry for 8 to 9 minutes, or until the onions are browned around the edges. Add the ginger and garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add the cumin and coriander seeds, stir for a few seconds and stir in 1 tablespoon of the yogurt. Stir and fry until blended with the onions. Add another tablespoon of yogurt and stir until it is incorporated into the sauce. Continue to do this until all of the yogurt has been added.
Add the tomatoes, stir and cook two minutes. Now add the chickpeas with their liquid, 2 1/2 to 3 cups water, the salt, garam masala, amchoor, cumin seeds and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Stir in most of the fresh coriander, leaving just a little for the final garnish.
Recipe created by Madhur Jaffrey.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Food and Wine. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
461 calories; 17g total fat; 1mg cholesterol; 38mg sodium; 61g carbohydrates; 17g fiber; 19g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 15% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close