Chipotle Beef 'n Butternut Squash Stew
- Active Time 1h 15m
Makes 10 (1 cup) servings
Butternut squash adds a rustic character to this hearty Southwest stew, flavored with the smoky heat of chipotle chili pepper.
- 2 1/2 pounds top sirloin or top round beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet Collection Chipotle Chile Pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Ground Cumin
- One 2-pound butternut squash; peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Two 10-ounce cans condensed beef broth, undiluted
- One 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Place the beef in a bowl; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon chipotle chili, tossing to coat. Brown the beef in 1 tablespoon hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Remove the beef with a slotted spoon.
Add the onion and bell pepper to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Return the beef to the Dutch oven; stir in remaining 1 teaspoon chipotle chili. Add the brown sugar, cumin, squash, broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook the flour in the remaining 1 tablespoon hot oil in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, 5 minutes or until golden. Stir into stew and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes.
This recipe was developed for McCormick® by Southern Living Cooking School.
Recipe reprinted by permission of McCormick&reg;. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
309 calories; 13g total fat; 84mg cholesterol; 408mg sodium; 18g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 30g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close