Amaretti is strictly translated as "little bitters," but colloquially it refers to light, airy, crunchy, dome-shaped almond cookies. The cookies are great on their own, but I also love them as an ingredient in a cake; the soft cake batter and the crunchy cookie provide a wonderful contrast. So when you can't decide whether to have cookies or cake, just have both.
- Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup (about 2 ounces) baby amaretti cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest (from approximately 1 orange)
- 4 large eggs
- About 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, for sifting
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick spray and refrigerate.
2. In a small bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth, about 2 minutes.
3. In a food processor, combine the almonds and cookies, and pulse until finely ground. Transfer to a bowl. Add the butter, sugar and orange zest to the processor and blend until creamy and smooth. With the machine running, add the eggs one at a time. Add the nut mixture and the melted chocolate. Pulse until blended.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the center puffs and a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes. Transfer to a platter, sift the cocoa powder over and serve.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Clarkson Potter 2005. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close