- Special Pricing
The chopped cherries blend into the ultra-rich chocolate cake, giving these cupcakes a slight cherry flavor while keeping it super-moist with little added oil. The combination of reduced-fat cream cheese and sour cream gives the frosting cheesecake-like flavor with about 40 calories and 3 grams saturated fat less than a traditional cream cheese frosting.
- For Cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (see Note)
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pitted cherries, fresh or frounceen (thawed and drained), plus 12 fresh cherries with stems for garnish
- For Frosting:
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup packed confectioners' sugar
- Ingredient Note: Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
- Tip: No buttermilk? You can make “sour milk” as a substitute: mix 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar to 1/2 cup nonfat milk.
To prepare the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line twelve 1/2-cup muffin cups with paper liners.
Whisk the whole-wheat flour, cake flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
Beat the granulated sugar and oil in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined. With the mixer on low, alternately mix in the dry ingredients and buttermilk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, until just combined. Fold in the chopped cherries until just combined. Divide the batter among the prepared cups (they will be full).
Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 22 to 26 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
To prepare the frosting: Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese, sour cream and confectioners' sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Refrigerate the frosting until very cold, about 2 hours. Spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes and decorate with a cherry on top, if desired.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
269 calories; 10g total fat; 3g total saturated fat; 32mg cholesterol; 286mg sodium; 42g carbohydrates; 2g fiber; 5g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .