- Special Savings
We love the rich chocolate flavor in these chewy cookies that are like a cross between higher-fat coconut macaroons and low-fat, low-calorie, egg-white-based meringues.
Make Ahead Tip: Store airtight for up to 3 days. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tips)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted (see Tips)
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar for dusting (optional)
- Tips: To bring an egg to room temperature, set it on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
- To melt chocolate, microwave on medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted. Or place chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir until melted.
Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven; preheat to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, nonstick baking mats or lightly coat with cooking spray.
Beat the egg whites and salt in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until frothy. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.
With a rubber spatula, gently fold the melted chocolate, coconut and pecans into the egg whites until no white streaks remain.
Drop 2 teaspoons of batter per cookie about 1 inch apart onto the prepared baking sheets, fitting about 30 cookies per sheet.
Bake until set, 10-12 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the macaroons in with the door slightly ajar for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving, if desired.
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
44 calories; 3g total fat; 1g total saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 12mg sodium; 5g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 1g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .