- Special Pricing
Thumbprint cookies are an old-fashioned treat, a little cookie well holding a dot of jam. Here, they're reinterpreted with walnut oil and whole-wheat pastry flour for today's healthier eating standards - and, of course, with chocolate, simply for the taste.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup toasted walnut pieces (see tip)
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup walnut oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped, or chocolate chips, melted (see Cooking Tip)
- 6 tablespoons apricot jam (see Enhancements, below)
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts, heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
To melt chocolate:
1. Bring 1 inch of water to a simmer in a double boiler set over medium-high heat, then place chocolate in the top pan. (Alternatively, to improvise a double boiler, place chocolate in a heat-safe mixing bowl that fits snugly over a pan with 1 inch of simmering water). Stir until half the chocolate has melted. Remove the bowl and continue stirring until the chocolate has fully melted. Cool for 5 minutes at room temperature.
2. Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir well, then continue microwaving in 30-second increments on high until two-thirds of the chocolate has melted, stirring well after each heating. Remove the bowl and continue stirring until all the chocolate has melted. Cool for 5 minutes at room temperature.
Position a rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Whisk the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl until well combined. Grind the walnuts in a food processor until they resemble coarse meal.
Beat the butter, oil, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until almost creamy—the mixture may still be a little grainy. Beat in the egg and vanilla; scrape down the sides and beat in the melted chocolate and the ground nuts. Stir in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until just incorporated.
Roll 1 tablespoon dough into a ball, place on the prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly until it looks like a deflated basketball. Continue with the remaining dough, spacing the cookies 2 inches apart.
Bake the cookies for 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently press your thumb or the end of a wooden spoon in the center of each cookie. Place 1/2 teaspoon jam in each indentation. Bake until the jam is melted and the cookie is set but still a little soft, 8-10 minutes more. Cool on the pan for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Let the pan cool for a few minutes before baking another batch.
Use any flavor jam you want, just don’t use preserves (the pieces of fruit may be too large) or jelly (it will melt too quickly and run).
Recipe reprinted by permission of Publisher. All rights reserved.
nutrition information per serving
109 calories; 6g total fat; 2g total saturated fat; 9mg cholesterol; 53mg sodium; 14g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 1g protein
These nutrition facts are calculated according to the ingredients listed in this recipe. Any substitutions will change these facts. Although we strive for accuracy, please note that food manufacturers occasionally change their food formulas, which could affect the calculations as shown.
Don't Miss Out
Get an instant coupon for 10% off your next order*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*Some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close
Your instant coupon code is:
Enter code during checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.* This code will also be emailed to you.Close and Continue
*Some restrictions apply. To see restrictions, click here .