Corsican Style Soup
Loads of vegetables and tagliatelle pack this thick soup.
- 1/2 pound dried navy beans
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large yellow onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 10 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, trimmed and diced
- 1/2 small green cabbage, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 pound haricots verts, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 ham bone with some meat attached (have butcher cut in half crosswise)
- 1/4 pound tagliatelle, broken in half
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 5 fresh basil leaves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put the beans in a medium bowl, cover with cold water by 2 inches and set aside to soak for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain.
Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions, potatoes, leeks, zucchini, cabbage, haricots verts, carrots, tomatoes, marjoram and soaked beans and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are slightly soft, about 10 minutes. Add the ham bones and 10 cups cold water, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring often, until the vegetables are very soft and the soup is thick, about 2 hours.
About 20 minutes before the soup is finished cooking, add tthe tagliatelle, garlic and basil and cook, stirring often, until the pasta is tender. Remove the bones and season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. Soup will thicken as it sits and may be thinned with a little water, if you like.
Special Offer: Get more recipes from Saveur, the award-winning magazine for those passionate about food, drink and travel. Click for details.
Recipe reprinted by permission of World Publication, LLC. All rights reserved.
Need Something for Your Kitchen?
Get 10% off your first order at our store, CHEFS Catalog!*
plus the latest recipes, exclusive offers, and more straight to your inbox.
*New customers only, some restrictions apply.
Sorry, it appears that you already have subscribed to Cooking.com e-mails.
Click here to modify your email preferences.Close
Sign-up in progress...
Thanks for subscribing and please enjoy the coupons, recipes and special offers coming your way!Close